Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Male Gaze



Male gaze has been shown through out art since as early as the middle ages. Although it may not be noticeable to some, a woman is always in a male gaze in any art form. Male gaze is the sexual objectification of women. In art, a women is usually set in a way that conforms to the male gaze. Male gaze makes the viewer, typically a male, experience some degree of satisfaction or pleasure. The male gaze today would be a woman nude, or in very little clothing that is typically thin and tall. Men create the ideal woman for art in order to receive this satisfaction, no matter how unrealistic it is. Male gaze is sexism and oppression to women.  

Male Gaze Definition

Male Gaze in History


Male gaze is persuasive because media is constantly bombarding our society with these images. We grow up seeing over 300 ads a day so the media has an influence over us whether we realize it or not. With the media/art influence, we grow up defining what an ideal woman is and how it is okay with society, although wrong, to sexualize women so as adults some may portray their perfect woman based on other art in the world.

Magazines have many ads of women that are photoshopped to the male gaze which creates insecurities in young women as they grow up into young adulthood. While this has a negative impact on women, this creates an unrealistic expectation on behalf of men and attributes less than ideal treatment of women. An example of the male gaze is demonstrated in a TED Talk by Cameron Russell. She is a model but even says herself "That's not me in the photos". 

Cameron Russell's TED Talk

"Olympia" Manet, 1863-65.

"Olympia" is an illustrative example of male gaze. See her, the female subject, is position to where her whole is displayed for the viewer and artist to see. This creates a vulnerable feeling that is displayed because she does not have her guard up and is in the nude. The woman is white, slender, and has full breasts which would be preferred in the male gaze. Although she is nude, she still has a bracelet, necklace, and hair accessory which seems to be still impressing the viewer. Her legs are crossed in a feminine manner which would attribute to the male gaze, as well as her arm daintily laid across her lap like a "true lady" would. This work of art accurately demonstrates the male gaze for the 19th century. 

Patriarchy, according to Bell Hooks, "Is a political-social system that insists that males are inherently dominating, superior to everything and everyone deemed weak, especially females, and endowed with the right to dominate and rule over the weak and to maintain that dominance through various forms of psychological terrorism and violence". 

One example of patriarchy is how women are expected to be more nurturing, non-violence, subservient, and timid while men are expected to be aggressive, enjoy violence in appropriate settings, and be the head of the household. Another example is the double standard with sexuality. Women are shamed on if they are sexually active, but men are praised for every time they have sex with a woman, especially if she is a woman. I could go on and on about examples about patriarchy but it surrounds us in everyday life and will continue to do so if there is not a change.  

I have to come to learn about patriarchy through growing up as a queer woman in the south. Being told no because I am female grew to be something happening way too often. When I was in ROTC my freshmen year in high school, I had talked to my colonel and chief about being in the medical profession and working in a submarine. Right after I had mentioned submarine, they immediately told me no because I am female. I was astonished and started to view the world in a whole new way. I changed my mind about my career not because they told me I could not do it, but because my passion changed to be a sex therapist. 

Since learning about patriarchy and sexism, I have viewed myself quite differently. I feel like I am a stronger individual and a stronger woman. I am more aware of how I act as a feminist. I advocate for equal rights more now. As I have matured and grown, my desire for equality has grown stronger. Although I am more easily irritated by ignorance because I do not understand how people can be such assholes. 

My role, according to society, should be to marry a man and have children while being a stay at home wife. This also includes being a servant to that husband and being non-aggressive and caring. However, my role is anything but. I am getting my bachelors degree then getting my masters to become a sex therapist. I do not aspire for marriage and if I do it does not have to be a man because I am queer. I will marry who I want for my own reasons as an equal and continue my career without having children. So Patriarchy can kiss my ass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment