Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Depiction of Pakistani Women Through Television

Recently, I have came across Pakistani dramas while watching television with my mom. At first, I was amazed at how realistic these shows were. But as I continued to watch, I realized that it is not realistic, it's brainwashing. Helpless, dependent women were being idolized and this was completely fine with the society. They praised the girl who stuck by her abusive husband and the girl who quit her career because her husband was insecure.


As much as I respect my country, the societal beliefs continue to appall me. How can the society continue to accept what happens with these women? 

On tumblr, I created a blog that related the feelings of female Pakistani women, the appropriate behavior of women, and short description of what is being shown in the dramas. This is important to me because I am constantly visiting Pakistan and it is a huge part of my life. My audience can be anyone that relates to these middle eastern societal issues, especially females. My message is that television should stop concentrating on women being weak, promiscuous, and showing negativity of educated women. This fits into my professional aspirations because if I were to move back to Pakistan, these would be the issues I would have to deal with.

I chose four Pakistani artists that felt the societal pressure concentrating on claustrophobia, men, and hypnotic work.




These paintings are described in the blog along with the names of the artists. 

Link:

http://equalityoversociety.tumblr.com/


Works Cited
Ahmar, Tasneem. "Portrayal of Women in Pakistani Dramas." Newslinemagazine. N.p., 19 June 2012. Web. 
"Faiza Butt." Artsome. N.p., n.d. Web. 
Sahrish. "Aisha Khalid." Feminist Art Archive. N.p., n.d. Web.





No comments:

Post a Comment