Friday, April 24, 2015

The Ugliness of Beauty


The Ugliness of Beauty    
      For my semester project I was not fully sure what direction to take, our society nowadays suffer from many social issues that are never ending or even disputed. We live in a world where rape is justified, a world where patriarchy still dominates, and a place where body shaming is completely acceptable. 
      I chose to create a blog that mainly was focused on body shaming, I additionally included the topic about beauty standards as well. My blog exposes how the idea of body shaming is ridiculous and how these false ideals are nothing but a scam that is constantly pulled off by the media to just earn profits. 
      This topic is something I am truly passionate about because just like any other girl or even guy out there, I have also felt like a victim of body shaming at one point of my life. Body shaming is everywhere, you can see it in ads, through the internet, and even among your friends. Women are not the only ones facing this horrifying problem that is causing eating disorders, depression, and even suicide. Men are also slowly being targeted, and people can't even say that only "average people" face body shaming, for celebrities face an even bigger problem of body shaming as well. 
     Due to this issue,nowadays no one seems satisfied with their bodies, you will hear people trying new fad diets, or trying to gain weight in order to look a certain way. Yet what makes the "Perfect body" perfect, who claimed it was perfect in the first place?
      As I was researching for my project I found two female artists that truly inspired me. The first artist goes by the name of Robin Rice who started her own social change campaign called #StopTheBeautyMadness. The other artist goes by the name of Kelli Jean Drinkwater, she is an artist that is aware of her body type and is not afraid to show the beauty of it. She calls herself a fat activist and is not by any circumstances ashamed of her body or threaten by todays "Beauty Standards." 




















No comments:

Post a Comment