Thursday, April 9, 2015

Project update


For my semester project, I will be analyzing the depiction of women in Pakistan. There are a lot of controversies of how women are portrayed in their serials and the industry. This topic is something that has bothered me in the past and I would like to compare this to how women were depicted in art. My message will show how the world has or has not changed much from the past. Are women being treated better or just different? This fits into my professional aspirations because I have thought about moving to Pakistan. Research like this can determine whether I would like to start a new beginning with my career somewhere else. My inspiration is a blog made by Farwa Naqvi named "Pakstani dramas: Are women really less empowered now?" 


http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/13733/pakistani-dramas-are-women-really-less-empowered-now/

5 comments:

  1. Hello Madiha, being a Pakistani I understand where you are coming from. Also, I feel you should interview an older lady from Pakistan if possible. Who might be able to answer the differences from her time to today, and provide us with how she feels about Pakistani women lifestyles today, compared to 20-30 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your focus on the topic and cannot wait to see what you come up with. I have done readings on Pakistan women and how they are treated and portrayed in society and feel like the comparison to the women in art I a great idea and feel like the outcome will be a very interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Pakistan for two years and from my experience I have seen both sides of this issue. There still exists sexism and way too many women are taken advantage of. Only some women are independent and enjoy their rights. Gender roles greatly still exist in that society. Excited to see your project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely relate considering how I, myself, am from the middle east. It is primarily a male dominant society. This type of society really makes me want to be different and show everyone how a woman can be successful, which is partially the reason why I want to be a doctor disregarding my passion to be in the medical field.

    ReplyDelete