Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Latin American Women Artist and the Male Gaze- Semester Project







 Being in my first art and women's class has allowed me to open my eyes to important women issues that I might have never been aware of if it wasn’t for this class. And in being a women myself, I believe that it is extremely important to know the difficulties that women have had to go through in order to get the respect and recognition that they rightfully deserve. It is even more important to know about these issues because most of these women issue still exist today. There are two topics that were discussed in class that immediately intrigued me and made me want to know more. Those two topics were about the male gaze and how much more difficult it was for women of color to have their artwork recognized. It was hard enough for women to get their artwork published but once color was involved it made it near impossible. We learned about a couple of influential African American women artist which is great because African American women are rarely talked about, however, as a Hispanic women, I would have loved to learn a lot more about Hispanic women artist. Which is why this blog was created. This blog will consist of a couple of Hispanic women artist with the goal of introducing them to people who might have never even heard about their work and to show how great their artwork actually is and how they deserve to be talked about so much more. This blog will also discuss the male gaze and street harassment since it is one of my favorite topics. The male gaze exist everywhere and I want to show people that even Hispanics tend to look at women as objects and demean women.





Here is the link to my blog! http://khormazathings.tumblr.com/




Links used for refrences



"Daphne Arthur." Daphne Arthur. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2015.
"Daphne Arthur." RARE Gallery. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2015.
"Featured Artist: Nanibah Chacon." 2014 MALCS Summer Institute. N.p., 05 Feb. 2014. Web. 10 May 2015.
"EXHIBITIONS." MoMA. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2015.
"Malacriancias." Malacriancias. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2015.
"Sociales: Débora Arango Arrives Today." - Mint Museum. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2015.









No comments:

Post a Comment