Tuesday, April 21, 2015

IMAGES OF AFRO WOMEN.

Catherine Walker

For my project Arts and Women Spring 2015, I made up a booklet called “The Images of Afro Women.” In it I depicted the story about Afro Women who has been subjugated as to being stereotyped throughout their history in Western Culture. I chose to use the word “Afro: because it symbolizes originality and connection to Africa. I began my story with the Mammy and Jezebel characters and why they were created 

I also discussed about the oppression that Afro women are subjugated to under the Patriarchy system and Male gaze. This topic has drawn my attention because Feminist artist such as Judy Chicago, Yoko Ono, Faith Ringgold, Betty Saar the Gorillas Girls, Bell Hooks  and many more has helped to raise my awareness about the plight of women history. They have addressed issues such as racism, sexism, classicism, inequality, which has been detrimental to the autonomy of women all over the globe, especially black women. 
I added a section with positive Images of the Afro woman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNz6SWdIP
This is the link to you tube Images of Afro Women video.















Work Cited
3. Guerilla Girls The Guerilla Girls Bedside Companion. To the history of Western Art. Copyright 1998
4.Chadwick Whitney Women, Art and Society. Copyright 1990, 1996,2002,2007.     Published U.S
5. Johnson C. Louise Social Work Practice. Copyright 2010 Published by Allen and Bacon
6.     Jacobs, Harriet Incidents In the Life of a Slave Girl. The Schumberg library of the 19th Century, Black Women Writers Copyright 1988.
7.   Larsen, Nella Quicksand and Passing. Copyright 1986 Nineteenth paperback printing. Rutgers th State University
8.      Hook, Bell The Will to Change.

No comments:

Post a Comment