Thursday, April 9, 2015

Semester Project

We develop our own standards of beauty by taking cues from our families, peer group, society, and the media. The definition of what is considered beautiful varies from country to country. In America, we define beautiful as a pretty face, with bright blue eyes, and a nice thin figure.  Unique perceptions and different cultures and traditions tend to appreciate different aspects of what makes a female beautiful.

I will be looking at 10-15 different countries for my semester project by research I find in magazines and on the internet. I will also include pictures of women from each country with research on my findings on traits that are considered beautiful in that society. I will be including additional information on what is defined as beautiful in America, and how this has a negative effect on our youth. The final form of my project will be produced as a beauty magazine.


I am making this project because I think that looks are a very important, yet sensitive topic to many women. I also find it interesting how women in different countries can look so different, yet are still beautiful and unique in their own ways. This topic interested me when I stumbled upon an article that focused on women from different countries. My audience mostly pertains to women from any race.

5 comments:

  1. I really love the topic of your project. I believe that it is a very important topic considering how everyone has a different perspective towards beauty. Also, nowadays, people are more self conscious towards themselves and their beauty. I believe it is but a mere term considering that there is no set, solidified, and defined beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty is different in every country, and this video reaffirms the fact that there are different standards of beauty all around the world: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ashleyperez/global-beauty-standards#.qpmwjDXdB
    you should try to incorporate this idea in your project

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the idea of your project, I think this blog post would be really helpful and useful, check it out :http://www.boredpanda.com/women-portraits-atlas-of-beauty-mihaela-noroc/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great and ambitious project. And certainly something you can continue to explore! Several articles I suggested to Kristina and Diana are also great to look at for your project. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5367171

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2670945/What-does-perfect-face-look-like-Global-ideal-beauty-standards-revealed-woman-asks-25-countries-Photoshop-image.html

    ReplyDelete