Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Final Semester Project: The Male Gaze and Instagram

My final semester project is about the male gaze and the use of Instagram. This peaked my interest because it just hit me one day when I was deciding what my topic would be that the Male Gaze takes place everyday on social media, and specifically on Instagram with the use of the hash tag Women Crush Wednesday (#WomenCrushWednesday or #WCW). Being that I myself have been guilty of doing this, I have come to realize that there is a connection between that and the art of old that has been portrayed from over the past hundreds of years. The idea and concept is the same, except that the artist has become the user, and the median has shifted from the easel to the internet and social media. I have created a Tumblr page as a part of my project and blog, and also an Instagram page that set to honor women for who they are and have accomplished; not just for their looks or bodies.


Tumblr Page:
http://rto52.tumblr.com/post/116978209072/women-instagram-the-gaze

Instagram:
@Women_Of_Honor

Sources:
Anonymous Instagram User
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Male_gaze
Berger, J. (1973). Ways of Seeing (pp. 45-64). London: British Broadcasting Corporation.

1 comment:

  1. On your tumblr page it is nearly impossible to understand what the page is about. You should edit the page style to include a short description and some resources on the sidebar and also to format and edit the existing posts so that they not only appear cleaner and easier to read, but also in some format that speaks to the project. Right now visiting the tumblr leaves me confused and it looks unfinished and not well esteemed. It needs more content but could certainly use ANY amount of thoughtful design.

    ReplyDelete